Thursday 6 December 2012

Pre-Production - Outlining + Discussing my ideas (Moodboard)

Instead of simply putting up a post containing my ideas for the outline of my music video, and then discussing them. I thought it would be a better demonstration of my ideas with a moodboard :)

Below you will see my moodboard that I put together showing and explaining my ideas to do with my music video, please note my moodboard also discusses all the locations and props I will need/be using.



Although you can see my moodboard, even with my HD camera, some of the text is not legible. So for the benefit of those viewing this post I have taken the time to type everything that is on my moodboard, in the sections the text applies to.

In the center is simply the lyrics for the song I have chosen ("Dream Catch Me")


Every time I close my eyes... it's you
And I know now who I am
Yeah yeah yeah
And I know now

There's a place I go when I'm alone
Do anything I want, be anyone I wanna be
But it is us I see
And I cannot believe I'm falling

That's where I'm going, where are you going
Hold it close, won't let this go
Dream catch me yeah
Dream catch me when I fall
Or else I won't come back at all

You do so much
But you don't know... it's true
And I know now who I am
Yeah yeah yeah
And I know now

There's a place I go when I'm alone
Do anything I want, be anyone I wanna be
But it is us I see
And I cannot believe I'm falling

That's where I'm going, where are you going
Hold it close, won't let this go
Dream catch me yeah
Dream catch me when I fall
Or else I won't come back at all

See you as a mountain
a fountain of God
See you as a descant soul
in the setting sun
you as a sound just as silent as none
I'm yours

There's a place I go when I'm alone
Do anything I want, be anyone I wanna be
But it is us I see
And I cannot believe I'm falling

There's a place I go when I'm alone
Do anything I want, be anyone I wanna be
But it is us I see
And I cannot believe I'm falling

That's where I'm going, where are you going
Hold it close, won't let this go
Dream catch me, yeah
Dream catch me when I fall
Or else I won't come back at all

In the "Actress" section"

(below the word "actress")
I have considered a number of people I know to play the role of the main character within my music video. I have also made a decision on whom I will be using on the basis of various reasons.


(next to the top left picture)
Georgina Caddy
While Georgina was willing to do the music video there were some difficulties. These included distance between us, as well as the fact she is also doing Media A2, so I did not want to take away her valuable time that she could have spent filming her music video.


(next to the picture slightly to the left)

Isabella Hannah
Isabella, when asked was also willing to take part in my music video. However distance was an issue as well as her choice of A2. Isabella has an incredibly workload with Art, History and English Literature and I will not risk her losing marks in any subject.


(next to the top right picture)

Alexandra Simon-Lewis

Alexandra is the person I have chosen for the role in my music video for a number of reasons. She was willing to take part, does not have exams in January and is not far away so travel is not a problem since I can drive to collect her for the shooting of my music video.


In the "Location" section

(to the right of the word "Location")

The following pictures relate to my likely shooting locations.

(to the right of the picture of an outside of my house)
My home; the easiest place to shoot and it works perfectly for all my ideas i.e. the amount of animation I will include (since I can then work on it anytime because I am constantly in the shooting location).

(to the left of the picture of a desk)
My study; where the music will begin and where all the will take place.

(below the images of my lounge and log burner)
My lounge; this location is only a maybe, although I am really considering using my log burner for a shot that looks both thoughtful and natural (due to the light emanating from it).

below the image of my bathroom)
My bathroom; a location I will use simply because it works well in terms of the story my music video tells.

In the "Inspiration" section

(below the word "Inspiration")
The idea for including animation in my music video began whilst looking at the music video for "Take On Me" by "A-Ha".

(to the right of the still from the "Take On Me" music video)
I have always liked animation and in the past have dabbled in various forms of it. Using animation in my music video will be hard due to time restrictions but it is something I am determined to complete.

(to the left of the 'Newgrounds' logo)
The site I gained my inspiration to do simple characters is 'Newgrounds'.

(the the right of the still from an animation)
'Newgrounds' hosts mainly animators, amongst them is "BarfQuestion", who often draws heartwarming stop-motion animation using very simple drawings; this is where I found the inspiration to use simple cute drawings instead of elaborate ones (such as the ones in the "Take On Me" music video).


(to the right of the 'YouTube' and 'Vimeo' logos)
Websites other than 'Newgrounds' that have given me inspiration include the popular video sharing websites; 'YouTube' and 'Vimeo', since they both contain many music videos, animations and independent films with some really incredible stories behind them.

In the "Story" section

(to the right of the word "Story")

The idea behind the story is a typical boy-girl relationship. The boy breaks up with the girl via text (making us side with the poor, hurt girl). The girl is hurt and in her absence her drawings come to life to console her over her recent, painful break-up. I wanted to give the story in the music video a heartwarming feel, which is why I felt simple, cute animation could achieve this. If I hadn't used animation I would've used a young boy actor to pose as a sibling who makes their sister feel better in some way, although I don't have access to a young male actor.


In the "Mise-en-scene" section

(to the right of the word "Mise-en-scene")
I have talked about location that I will be shooting in separately to this, as in the kind of places that will be seen within the frames of my shots. So here I will be talking about the props involved within the music video, as well as the kind of clothing the star (a girl) of my music video will be wearing. Also the type of lighting I will be using within my music video.


(to the left of the images of clothing and above the images of makeup)

In terms of costume, I wanted to go for clothing that would be considered normal, everyday clothes with perhaps a hint of "indie" style thrown in. This meant choosing slothing that wasn't high end or glamorous, dark or depressing, or far too formal. I chose clothing such as jeans, baseball boots, a beanie, a jumper/check shirt, a few accessories such as bracelets and if I choose not to use shoes, perhaps some colourful socks. Because I wanted the main character within the music video to appear quite ordinary, I would probably use no/very little makeup, although if I do use some it won't stand out, it will be along the lines of powders and foundations to just give my actress a clear look to their skin i.e. their face.


(to the left of the images of props)

In terms of props my music video actually will not contain an incredibly vast amount. The props will include the phone the girl in the music video uses, the pencil that creates some of the animations that come to life, the piece of paper the animations are on (since the star interacts with it), and finally tissues that the girl will use since she will be crying. It is unlikely, though not impossible, that I will need to use any props other than these.

(between the images of lighting)
In terms of lighting I will be trying to achieve a very natural style of lighting to my music video. I will therefore be aiming for high-key lighting. I am seriously considering shooting during both day and night, and if that is the case I will use open curtains to allow for natural sunlight in the day. At night however I will use room lights to make the lighting natural (i.e. of a normal house at night,  this may have to be achieved though through three-point-lighting which will allow the star, and environment they are in to be seen more clearly.

(below the image of fire)
During shooting at night I want to use my log burner to create a warm, orange lighting effect on the sad main character of the story, since I think it will work quite well.

In the "Animation" section

(below the word "Animation")

These are all simply ideas I may use, as I want animation to play a large part in my music video.)

(to the left of the image of a stickman)
"Pivot" - a basic animation program which is free to download. If I do use this, instead of directly inserting the animation I will record the animation in progress on my monitor to simulate it happening in real time.

(to the right of the yellow stick note)
The idea behind the yellow sticky notes is that they will come to life. The words would separate and the letters would move  to form a supportive message for the main character in the music video.

I may/probably will not use this idea for 2 reasons, 1, it is going to be incredibly time consuming (even more so than regular animation). 2, it will be incredibly troublesome to actually animate since keeping track of which letters have moved where would be very hard to do.

(to the right of the simple drawing of the boy and girl)
This is my favourite idea, a simple hand drawn animation that I would incorporate into the music video through multiple pictures taken on a high definition camera.

(below the image of a stickman)
Originally I has considered spending much more time drawing more detailed characters, although nearly immediately I reconsidered as I knew I would have to produce many drawings in a limited time frame, so instead of the kind of detail seen in animation such as they type used in the music video "Take On Me" by "A-Ha", I decided to go with a more cute and sweet style through the simple drawings, such as my favourite example (seen on the right).   <---the direction here referred to the hand drawn image of the boy and girl.


__________

This concludes my post on outlining and discussing my ideas for my music video. Please remember this post also covers outlining and discussing my ideas on the story and discusses the location and props I will need/be using, which are tasks for the pre-production of my music video.

So, until next time everyone :D

No comments:

Post a Comment